Wednesday, August 4, 2010

I Can Draw!!!

As I approach the end of my time at String Letter Publishing, designing for Strings and Acoustic Guitar magazines, I'm starting to archive some of my old work. I realized that over the last 20 months, I've done quite a few illustrations for various magazine articles and features. So before they get locked in my vault of an external hard drive, I thought I'd share them here.

Memorization by Jacob Chalkley
My first illustration for Strings magazine. The article was about tips on memorizing music.

Audition Anxiety by Jacob Chalkley
The topic was about performance anxiety. I love the "Gong Show" reference and the elaborate limbs of the player.

Musical Tales from the Wild West by Jake Chalkley
This is the first time that I've made a hand-drawn font that I'm proud of.

2010 Strings Holiday Card by Jacob Chalkley
This is one of my submission for the String Letter Publishing 2010 holiday card. Gotta love those treble clef snowflakes.

Diagram of Bow Parts by Jacob Chalkley
A technical illustration for all the parts of a cello bow.

Cello and Bass by Jake Chalkley
A pretty generic illustration for an article about cello and bass pieces.

Doors by Jacob Chalkley
A little Alice in Wonderland reference for a story about Paganini's 24 Caprices.

Fake Bows by Jake Chalkley
It's hard to make bows look interesting. This was for a feature about conterfeit bows.

Frustrated by Jake Chalkley
A quick illustration for a co-worker who wanted an illustration for her blog post about frustration.

2009 Holiday Card by Jake Chalkley
Thankfully, brainstorming ideas for the United Airlines holiday card years ago at SGDP paid off when I needed come up with a non-religious holiday card for SLP.

Instrument Loans by Jake Chalkley
This was for an article about instrument loans.

Martha Katz by Jacob Chalkley
The contributer for an article didn't have a decent photo of herself, so I took one of her photos an illustrated this. As I recall, I used a cheap BIC pen for the entire thing.

Life in the Cloud by Jacob Chalkley
A zen-like illustration about life in the Internet clouds.

The Windmill by Jake Chalkley
I love this how-to illustration for an article about being more of a rock star. I was disappointed to find out that Peter Townsend actually strums his guitar in the opposite direction for his windmills.

RSS Feed by Jake Chalkley
A pretty generic illustration for gaining a following on the Internet.

Mugshot by Jacob Chalkley
This photo composite was for a feature titled, "The Usual Suspects", but eventually got killed when they changed the headline.

No comments: